People talk a lot about McCree’s responses to actually having food regularly available when he joins Blackwatch but like, other things to consider for this poor kid
- His reaction upon seeing he has a BED, like an actual bed, there’s enough blankets on it for him to roll up in it twice and he does.
- Not only that he gets his own ROOM? Plenty of people in Blackwatch bunk together but Gabe didn’t want that with McCree since he was still a minor when he joined so, perks.
- McCree is actually allowed to keep his own things now. For a while he had a habit of hiding them in his room, when Gabe finds them he’s terrified they’re gonna get taken and it’s like no… they’re yours…
- People often have Gabe being strict on him (and I’m sure he would be) but I think after day 1 Gabe would be VERY careful with the language he uses. The first time he shouts at him he can see McCree flinching, steeling himself like he’s about to get punched in the face or worse. He doesn’t yell at McCree anymore (overtime when they trust each other more he uses harsher language when necessary)
- Gabe almost exhausted with how often McCree asks permission to do ANYTHING but doesn’t get upset because he knows why the kid does it
- Don’t touch me on the concept of McCree thinking that the moment you become a risk you get left for dead. I hurt thinking about him stuck somewhere on a mission, just waiting to either die or be forced to save himself only for Gabe to save him.
- Or Gabe’s surprise cause he almost expects the kid to be lazy but after a couple of late mornings the kid’s pushing himself really hard on training, always volunteering for cleaning duties, because he’s worried if he’s not being useful he’ll get kicked out.
- “You want me to what?” “Take a short vacation kid.” “We…. have those…????”
- “Kid I told you to take a break.” “I… don’t understand boss what’s a break…”
- “You know Jesse, when I punished you and told you to polish the guns I didn’t expect you to be in here for an entire day.” “Uh, but, don’t they need to be spotless?” “*sigh* No but uh… you know what? Good job, go get some sleep.”
- “Jesse…” “Yeah boss?” “Listen, a cleaning assignment doesn’t mean it has to look like new. Will you stop scrubbing the toilet, please?”
- “Hey boss, made some dinner!” “J-Jesse… why is there so much?” “Well we had it and now we have leftovers to last us a week.” “Jesse…”
- Or shit let’s talk about WATER rationing cause on route 66 I doubt it was a common thing. Jesse was probably used to running on one jug a day (like two cups at most). Like first day of rly hard training the kid PASSES OUT from dehydration and like. “Jesse, how much water have you had today?” “Uh? I had a little this morning I guess… with coffee…” “…. that’s it?” “Yeah why?” “Oh god.”
- Gabe has to buy him a special water bottle so Jesse remembers to drink enough during the day.
- Jesse hoarding sweets for a special occasion and Gabe has to remind him that “I can get you more, easy, if you need it, just eat it god.”
- Oh god or clothing habits like, “Jesse, I gave you more than one uniform for a reason.” “What do you mean?” “I mean if one gets dirty you can wear a fresh one until laundry day jesus kid go change.”
- On that note, it’s a two month battle to force Jesse to shower regularly.
- He still hates showering regularly, to this day, but he does it.
- Also it takes Gabe aprox. 1 day to figure out that Jesse uses the hat not just for kicks but as a confidence booster (feel stronger with it sort of thing) and allows him to wear it in spite of the uniform.
- Other members steal it once, once, they never do again.
A) This was not supposed to get this many notes
B) @ people who are sad don’t be sad, Gabe is there, he’s going to take care of this kid now
Okay adding something I also just considered.
- There’s been some hcs of Gabe being harsh on McCree but if anyone else treats him like that he gets defensive
- Which is well and good but considering all this you have to consider WHY
- Gabe’s fully aware of the shit McCree has been through, possibly had the kid talk to him about it so he could act accordingly. Eventually McCree grows to trust him enough that Gabe’s able to mouth of without frightening the kid much because he trusts Gabe, he knows Gabe wouldn’t hurt him.
- That trust doesn’t extend to much anyone else, essp. not at first
- If ANYONE else talks to McCree that way Gabe gets pissed because he knows what it’s actually doing to the kid.
- If they’re lower ranked than him they just get in trouble
- If they’re roughly the same rank they get scared shitless and a stern warning
- If they rank higher than him he just stands between them and asks them to mind their tone.
- Gabe doesn’t care if this kid is now a “soldier”, he 100% refuses to let this kid go on feeling like he’s just a disposable tool. The kid should not be SCARED FOR HIS LIFE if a higher rank is coming down on a mistake he made. Scared of being stuck on kitchen duty? Sure. But not his life.
*kicks down door* no wait one more thing
Gabe spends a lot of time working with Jesse and teaching him that yes he should follow orders but he should never let anyone threaten him, talk down to him, make him think he’s any less than he really is
And it sticks, and even tho the govt. has put out this huge bounty, even tho most of the world probably thinks he’s a criminal, it doesn’t really matter because McCree knows damn well who he is and it doesn’t matter if people make jokes about his cowboy get up because buddy pal friend I could have killed you four times during that insult so who’s really the loser here.