You are allowed to retcon your RP with anyone, at any time, for any of the following reasons:
1. Something in the RP’d past no longer fits your characters narrative as a cohesive whole.
2. You break up with your RP partner and no longer wish to have your character associated with theirs.
3. Part of your characters story no longer makes sense.
4. A story you were a part of is changed and/or you are no longer comfortable with the story’s direction.
5. Any other reason you feel is necessary.
You are ultimately responsible for what has happened and what will happen to your character. It is not someone else’s privilege to decide that under any circumstances.
There’s a weird mentality floating around some places that a character’s history HAS to be set in stone but nothing could be further from the truth. Changing something about your character doesn’t make them illegitimate. It helps them grow, it helps you grow. A+ post.
If paid professionals can retcon shit at a whim you the RPer definitely can